Driving Blind Redux – A RetroFlash by

Prompted By The Eyes Have It

I’ll RetroFlash if you don’t mind

Via link to my previous “Driving Blind.”

Where I described to my very best

My quite abnormal first driving test.

(It was during the Blackout, I might remind.)

Let me quickly recap that scene

Where they could not use the eye test screen.

So those who didn’t have on glasses

Auto-matically* just got passes

Regardless of what they might have seen.

But worriers, you may take heart.

For I was ready from the start.

My distance glasses I did tote

(hidden deep inside my coat).

And I’d memorized the full eye chart.

_______

*Pun intended.

Characterizations: funny, right on!

Comments

Cute Flash, John. Obviously you were well-prepared and would have passed even if you were not in black-out conditions. I’m sure you still see well enough to drive today, so no worries.

Thanks, Betsy. And yes, my vision is fine for driving now, though I do have a restriction on my license. So I usually wear my glasses, but must admit to “cheating” a few times on short drives in the midst of COVID, as I never found a good way to keep my glasses from fogging up when wearing a mask.

Love your poetic RetroFlash, John. I have often wondered about the accuracy of using the eye chart to determine one’s vision because after doing it so many times, I think I have also memorized it.

I once heard on optometrist explain why they never change the chart (it has to do with the shapes of and openings in the letters). But, given that we have to change some passwords every 90 days, you’d think that the eye guys would figure that maybe that made sense fo them too.

Wow, I had no idea that so many of us tried to memorize the eye chart, John. Great flash.

Thanks, Marian. I remember asking my pals in high school why MORE of us sidn’t memorize it. I still wonder about that. It is certainly easier to do than, say, the first eleven lines of “The Aeneid” — which I also had to do in Latin class. (“I sing of arms and the man…..”)

These days the thought of memorizing the eye chart seems daunting—I’m impressed. Loved the featured picture—perfect. And fun poem of course.

Great RetroFlash, John. I love the AABBA rhyme scheme, sort of like Robert Frost’s Stopping By Woods. And the picture is fabulous! Blind Man Driving made me laugh out loud! However, when I looked for the website CautionBlindManDriving.com, there was nothing there.

Thanks, Suzy. And yes, I loved it when I came across that picture. But take no responsibility for thew website (or lack thereof). Or maybe it’s some brilliant joke on all of us: go to the site and see nothing.

6. Wonderful RetroFlash John!

Memorizing the eye chart is one way to do it! Another is to have a friend with better vision stand behind you and whisper the letters in your ear as I once did and wrote about in my story Dolly and Me at the DMV!