Halloween Horror RetroFlash – The Croup by

Prompted By Trick or Treat?

Hate to bring you down.

Much prefer to clown.

But like the “County Fair” theme,

My Halloween’s a bad dream.

No smiles; just a frown.

Let me keep this brief.

The reason for my grief?

I was croup-y as a kid.

Hate it?  Yes I did!

With steam my sole relief.

Finally a fix.

“No croup when you turn six,”

My doctor/dad assured me.

So I am filled with glee

When off for treats and tricks.

But on that fateful night

I just don’t feel quite right,

And cause an awful scene.

Blaming it on Halloween

For this re-croupy plight.

Characterizations: funny, well written

Comments

Oh, poor little Johnny. Not fun to be sick on Halloween. Did your older brother share his treats with you, or was he a selfish goblin?

Well, at least, having read your story and hearing about Jeffrey and the chicken pox, I don’t feel alone.

And I doubt my brother shared. But, to be fair to him, as I recall, all I could consume when I had croup was ginger ale and Jell-o — usually orange, which I hate to this day.

2. Wow John, Retro has released the uber poet in you beneath the stuffed shirt Ivy League-lawyer demeanor!

Keep ‘em coming. Sorry about your croupy youth, but at least you got a good poem out of it!

Poor you, John. Did you ever get over it? Maybe you can go out this year!

John, this story makes me so sad! Didn’t you ever have a Halloween you enjoyed? I hope you did, because otherwise I agree with Laurie, you should go out this year!

Not to worry, Suzy. I had plenty of happy ones, just none particularly memorable. Maybe my best one was when I won a prize at our school Halloween party for “handsomest costume” in a Scottish outfit. My grandmother had made me a kilt out of a scarf she had gotten in Scotland and somewhere I was even able to borrow a bagpipe.

How hard to be left out of a classic childhood ritual! Glad your health has held up so you are still here to share your wry poems and stories. I am impressed that later on you came up with a Scottish costume with BAGPIPES! If you played them, that was probably really scary.

Thanks, Khati. Croup is not a risk once you grow out of it — at age six (or so). I don’t think the bagpipes work and would not have had a clue how to play them. But they sure looked cool. As, of course, did my great legs.

Wonderful poem, sorry about the disease, John. Glad croup can be outgrown and that you got to enjoy Halloween. I hadn’t thought about it, but starting in my adolescence and continuing many years into adulthood, I would come down with a bad cold (not necessarily croup) right around Halloween. I’ve attributed this to the change in weather, even in our relatively mild California climate.

7. Risa Nye says:

Ah, yes…the croup. Barking like a seal, standing in a steamy bathroom, trying to stop coughing and breathe. I’ve been there too. The one terrible Halloween memory I have is when my mother told me I was too old to go out (7th grade), and I ended up handing out candy to kids in my class! Terrible.